Before engaging in training, please be advised that you will need to commit to a two-hour time slot for each ride. This allows for the riders to get comfortably settled, an hour ride and plenty of conversation with their volunteer.
If you are accompanying a rider as an escort, you do not need to be trained. An escort can be a friend or family member who would like to share in this special ride.
To ensure the safety and peace of mind of our passengers and their families, becoming a certified volunteer entails the following.
In order to become a certified volunteer, all candidates must:
1. Be at least 21 years of age.
2. Pass a background check. Applicants will not be accepted if they have criminal records, sex offenses, and/or repeated motor vehicle violations in their report.
3. Sign an original copy of the Sequim Wheelers Waiver agreement.
4. Log a total of six hours of road time (as both a pedaler and passenger) with one of our trained volunteers. There will be a log book on location. Prior to certification, no one may take out a passenger other than a trainer or another trained volunteer. The wheelchair bike must be accompanied by a third person riding a bicycle who is certified.
5. Trainee should satisfactorily perform all skills and be tested after training is completed.